Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Chicken Enchiladas

(Guess who bought tortillas at the grocery store this week)

You might want to add more seasoning to this and maybe tomatoes, but it was bland enough for the kids to eat, and it was much better the second day. I'd probably use chicken that I cooked myself next time, but I was pressed for time & this was super fast! And the kids ate it as long as they were able to cut it with our butter knives.

And I know that Mom & Ms. Susan have better alternative recipes than this - so if you send them to me, I'll post them!

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes


1 Tbs butter
1/2 c. chopped green onion (I used a little less because I can't find my kitchen shears)
1/2 tsp. garlic powder (I used minced garlic)
1 (4 oz. can diced green chilies)
1 (10.75 oz. can) Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
1/2 c. sour cream
1 1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast meat (here's where I went wrong & used the canned stuff - but it was easier - one day I'll have time ;) )
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese, divided
6 12 inch flour tortillas
1/4 c. milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a large baking dish.
In medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and saute green onions until tender. (about 3 - 4 minutes). Add the garlic, then stir in the green chilies, cream of mushroom soup, and sour cream. Mix well. Reserve 3/4 of this sauce & set aside. To the remaining 1/4 of the sauce in the saucepan, add the chicken and 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese. Stir together.

Fill each flour tortilla with the chicken mixture & roll up. Place seam side down in the prepared baking dish.

In a small bowl, combine the reserved 3/4 of the sauce with the milk. Spoon this mixture over the rolled tortillas and top with the remaining 1/2 c. cheddar cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 - 35 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.

Not bad, the kids ate it. :)

1 comment:

Mary said...

Great job on the blog design! It looks fantastic.

A hint for these enchiladas would be to buy one of those hot roasted chickens they sell at the grocery store, then just pull the meat off of it. I'm not sure how much easier it would be, but it would be delicious (and not as low fat since you'd use light and dark meat, but hey, our kids need fat for their growing brains).