Thursday, February 7, 2008

Hummus

I know it's not a meal, but it's a great snack.

Here's a really simple recipe for hummus dip (courtesy of MediterrAsian.com) that Alec and Adrian absolutely love. Alec will happily eat it with a spoon. It's the funniest thing to kiss an 18 month old and find that he has major garlic breath.

2 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup water
14 oz can chick peas drained and rinsed
1/2 cup tahini (sesame paste you can buy in decent grocery stores--not in my town!)
salt to taste

Put all the ingredients in a food processor and process until creamy. I usually add cumin or chili powder to make it interesting, but it's delicious as is. You can make a double recipe--it freezes really well.

We usually dip Triscuits in it, but we especially love it when we can either find pre-packaged whole wheat pita chips, or I take whole wheat pita bread and make my own chips (cut into strips and put them in the oven at 350 for about 15 minutes). Last time I even made my own pita bread and discovered it's good but not worth the trouble.

For low carb, celery sticks also taste great dipped in hummus.

No comments: